Friday, 18 November 2011

A Challenge - TGIFF

Just over a year ago, my quilt group had a paper bag challenge.
We each had to put a total of a meter of fabric in a paper bag.
We then brought our paper bag to one of our meetings and each pulled one of the bags out of a box.

My bag had a half meter of a black batik with rust colored maple leaves on it, as well as 2 fat quarters of coordinating batiks.

I had quite a few scraps of batiks that would go with the fabrics from my bag.  So I started looking through my books and magazines for a pattern.
I found this pattern in the book Charmed and Dangerous by Heather Mulder Peterson.  

And so was born my Batik Star.

You can see that I used the black batik with maple leaves as the inner border, and points for the star.

My mom did some amazing custom quilting on it.

My mom's feathers are gorgeous!
I love those little pebbles and asked her to use those for the background filler.  Isn't it effective?

And here it is in our living room! 

I am SO pleased with this wallhanging!!  Thank you Cheryl for the lovely fabric!

I am linking up to TGIFF.  Please go check out other fabulous Friday finishes.

Friday, 11 November 2011

Catching up!

I've been trying to catch up on some quilting projects this past week.  Didn't get any quilting done the first week of November as I was working all week and preparing the big Pirate birthday party for my now 6 year old daughter.

It was really nice to get to sit at my sewing machine and get back at it.

With all the UFOs or WIPs I have, you would think the last thing on my mind is starting something new, but, my quilting group is planning an exchange in January so I am starting to work on that.  We will be exchanging strips... anything from 11/4" to 2 1/2" in width.  The plan is to make a "Garbage Quilt".  My grandmother will be giving us a demo on this quilt next week.  She has made a few of them.  It is basically a scrap quilt where you sew strips diagonally to a foundation piece.  I will post more about it as time goes on but for now, here is the small pile of strips I have cut out so far.

There are 6 members in our group so I have to fill 6 large ziploc bags with strips... still have a long way to go!

I also worked on the Christmas gifts for the teachers.  Just a sneak peek of these.

They only need embellishments and labels.  Almost done!!

I also attended a Guild meeting last Tuesday.  I hadn't been yet this year.  I had planned to sign up for this year's challenge but thought for sure there wouldn't be any kits left.  Surprise!!  There was one left!  

This is what was inside!

The theme is "All Creatures Big or Small".  I have to use various techniques to make a wallhanging or wheelchair quilt, and include these 4 fabrics in the top of my project.  After a LOT of surfing on the net and discussing with my husband and mother, I think I have an idea of what I would like to do.  I am actually pretty excited about it.  I need to start drawing it out soon as I would like to do most of it by hand.

So that's what I have been up to!  Think I will head up to my sewing room and cut more strips!