Thursday 10 April 2014

Friendship Stars - TGIFF

I posted about this quilt for the first time on my blog back in February 2012. It was started way before that, back in 2009.

It has taken me a long time to make, but I am so thrilled with the end result and happier still to be sharing it with you!!

I found this pattern in Quilt Sampler from fall/winter 2008 and I fell in love with it.

I had a big bundle of fat quarters I had gotten from my mom when she was my secret sister a few years before. They were perfect for this quilt. I simply added more cream fat quarters for backgrounds as I didn't have enough.

I first got discouraged while making the little 6" stars for the border. There were so many... I had already finished the 12" blocks for the centre of the quilt and those were a lot faster to piece.

When I finally pulled it out again, I got those little stars finished by working on them here and there when I had a few moments to sew. It was easier to tackle a little at a a time.

When those were finally done, I went out and bought the other borders. As I was sewing them on, I had a problem with the gold border. I measured the borders down the centre of the quilt, as I always do, but when I sewed them on, I had a lot of easing in to do. I wasn't sure what to do. I asked my mom for advice but I was discouraged so I put the quilt away, again...

When I took it out again, I saw that it wasn't too bad and that it definitely would be okay to continue. The quilting might actually help. So I finished it and brought it over to my mom's.

I love the secondary pattern that comes through on this quilt and I really wanted to accent it with the quilting. I love my mom's feathers and so I asked her to quilt feathers in the cream parts of the quilt. She asked me if I had any suggestions for the stars and I said no, I didn't care, I just knew I wanted feathers in those cream parts.

Some of you may remember last June when I went to a retreat and my quilt group and I embarqued on this challenge where we each put 6 UFOs in a bag and pulled one out at random. We each put 10$ in a pot, and are suppose to have our UFO done by June this year in order to get our 10$ back. Well, this is my UFO! I am so excited it is done, and way before the deadline too!

The best part is, I finally have a quilt that fits my bed properly. We got a queen size mattress back in 2006 and didn't have a queen size quilt to fit on it, until now!

I am linking this special finish to TGIFF over at Quilt Matters this week.

 

13 comments:

  1. Yay, yay, yay! It's gorgeous, Ginette. Your mom did her magic with the quilting -- the feathers are perfect! Congrats on accomplishing your goal with plenty of time to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting is wonderful! Love the color scheme, too. My quilts take longer than I'd like, too, and they don't always fit the beds, so your story resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is beautiful the piecing exquisite and your mom's quilting is the perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precise beautiful piecing and the excellent artistic quilting really sets it off. Sweet dreams underneath it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your newest finish is out of this world. Just Gorgeous and looks fabulous on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog and article, thanks for sharing. However want to statement on few common issues, The website taste is great, the articles is in point of fact excellent.
    Vimax Canada Vimax asli Vakum pembesar penis vimax asli Canada Ciri ciri vimax asli

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this same book and got all the fabric and then lost the book, and I was so surprised to see it. I have gone to so many books and on the internet looking for the pattern and was so glad to see it today, can you send me the pattern and instruction so I can get it done, please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I forgot to give you my information, its gbnooc@myfairpoint.net I would love to get this project done, when I finished my reply I see it posted as unknow

      Delete
  8. I have searched for this magazine and cannot find it. I would love to have the Friendship Star pattern if anyone is willing to share it. This is one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen. The quilting is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also forgot to give you my information, it's mayranch74@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It's beautiful. I'm wondering if there is a pattern available?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with the last commenter - absolutely GORGEOUS and would love a pettern

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to know what you think, and if you have any questions please ask!