Thursday, 6 October 2016


I went on a quilt retreat last weekend! Oh it felt good to get together with some Quilty friends to share patterns, tips and tricks, recipes, but it felt especially good to get some work done on some WIPS.

First I finished the Vintage Quilt I've been working on for the king size bed we got last Spring.

Vintage quilt
Vintage quilt

I used fat quarters from the Nordika fabric line by Jeni Baker for the blocks. The background is a solid white, and the border is a grey Modern Background Essentials by Zen Chic. I'm looking forward to quilting it!

I also started putting my In From The Cold quilt blocks together and got the first borders on too. But I didn't get a picture so I will keep you in suspense until the top is finished.

Here are a couple of the quilts my friends finished while we were there.

Betty's Tablecloth Quilt
Betty's Tablecloth Quilt
Elaine's Ribbon Box Quilt
Elaine's Ribbon Box Quilt
charity quilt
Charity Quilt

There were many more great projects but these were the only ones I got pictures of.

It's always good to have a little vacation from home and get to work on some sewing for me. It was just a great pick me up. And I got some great inspiration from my friends as well!


Friday, 23 September 2016

Fall Table Runner

Fall has finally arrived so I thought I would share this table runner I finally got out of the WIP pile.

Fall table runner
Fall table runner

I made this runner with scraps a few years ago and had brought to my moms for her to quilt. For some reason it never got quilted and she found it a few weeks ago when she cleaned out one of the closets in her studio.

I thought it would be a great opportunity to practice doing some custom work with the computer designs on the Statler.

Close-up of quilting on fall table runner
Close-up of quilting

I picked a feather block design for the blocks, a leaf design for the sashing, my favourite orange peel for the corner stones and some beautiful maple leaves for the border.

It took me all day to quilt this little table runner. The longest part I think is picking the designs but then trying to get them to fit inside the spaces takes a lot of time and patience as well.

Fall table runner

I am really happy with the end result. It was great practice and I have a nice new table runner for the fall.

I am linking up to TGIFF over at Crazydutchbirdquilts


Wednesday, 14 September 2016

Back in the Swing of Things

I realized yesterday that I started this blog 5 years ago.  I just checked and it was 5 years ago, this week actually.  So I have decided that since it's the fall, a time to get back into routines and new schedules and such, it would also be a good time for me to get back into blogging.  

I hope I still have a few followers out there willing to read my posts and check out my quilting projects.  And since I have changed things in my little world of quilting as I have started quilting some quilts for others, I hope you won't mind me sharing some of my customers quilts on here too.  Some of the quilts I have quilted over the past few months have been fun and I would love to share them with you.

Ali's Aviatrix Medallion
Alison's "Aviatrix Medallion"

Kaaren's Stopped Me In My Tracks
Kaaren's "Stopped Me In My Tracks" Quilt

Of course you can always find me on my Facebook page and on Instagram where I post stuff regularly as well, but I will be making a real effort to post here more regularly and share with you some of the fun stuff I will be working on for me and my customers.  

So to start, how about a fabric pull... I am participating in a mystery quilt with my Guild.  Here is my fabric pull for the Mystery Quilt.

Fabric pull
Fabric pull

Wednesday, 2 March 2016


Last summer my Uncle came for a visit and asked me if I would made a banner for him.
He does woodworking and woodturning.  He makes beautiful bowls, pens, cremation urns, and feather boxes.  You can check out is work on his website
He lives in Kingsville, Ontario and often goes to fairs and markets and sells his items there.  He wanted a banner to hang in front of his table where he displays his feather boxes.

Our ancestors are Métis and my Uncle wanted his banner to look like the Métis flag.  The flag is basically a royal blue background with a white infinity sign in the middle.

So I took some Kona Ocean fabric and quilted the pattern called "Kindling" on it, which looks like woodgrain.  And then I machine appliqued a big infinity sign in the middle and his name on the bottom, as well as the words "Métis Artist".  I bound it with Kona Ocean.

The longest part was doing the applique around all the letters, but I am really pleased with the result and so is he.  There is an extra 10 inches or so on the top that lays on the table and then the rest of the banner hangs over the edge of the table. I think it was a great idea! We make a good team my Uncle Danny and I.

Wednesday, 10 February 2016

WIP Wednesday February 10 2016 - Aviatrix Medallion

So in my last post I promised you more pictures of my aviatrix medallion. I thought WIP Wednesday would be a good day to post about this quilt since it is a work in progress and probably will be for a while.

The week after the retreat, I trimmed the centre block down to the 14.5" square and added the first border which is made up of grey HSTs.

Then I got the itch but I had 2 other commissioned quilts to work on so I had to put the aviatrix aside.

I finished one of the 2 commissioned quilts and decided I deserved a little selfish sewing time, so I added the second border to the quilt.

That is where I am at now. Once I finish the other commissioned quilt, I will continue to work on this beauty. It is so much fun, and I am really liking the outcome!

Linking up to The Needle and Thread Network.