Wednesday 19 September 2018

Dresden Plate

It's time for Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side! I love this Festival or online Quilt Show so much. It is just great fun to go see everyone's quilts. I find it very inspiring, and because they are blog posts, there is usually more info about the making of the quilt or the inspiration behind it than just the simple posts on Instagram or Facebook. You should click on the link above and go check out some of the quilts!

So my entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival is my Dresden Plate.


This was a long time UFO that had been sitting in my closet. Last year my quilt group and I set a challenge for ourselves to finish some UFO's and this was the one I really had to get done. All I had done back in June 2017 when we set the challenge were the 12 blocks without the circles appliqued onto the dresdens.
I wanted to make the blocks look a little more modern so I chose the black fabric with gold specs on it and decided to make huge circles. I really love the look of them.
The dresdens had all been hand appliqued but in order to save some time, I decided to machine applique the circles using steam a seam lite2.
I added sashing using the same fabric as the background, to give myself some interesting options for the quilting.

I finished the top of the quilt in the fall and then took some time to decide how to quilt it.


In April, I finally put it on the longarm and picked some patterns on the computer and started dividing my spaces.


It took a few days and I used a mix of computerized designs, freemotion and ruler work.


I used a layer of Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting and a layer of Hobbs Polydown so I could get the lovely texture from the quilting to show. I love the final result.
Here are more close-ups of the quilting for you to enjoy.





This was a great challenge and I am happy this quilt went from the UFO pile to the finished pile.

Don't forget to go check out the Festival. It truly is like an online quilt show, and who doesn't love a quilt show?!

13 comments:

  1. Does that pebbling make the quilt stiff? I did that stitch once but I used a heavy thread and the quilt ending up being way too stiff, but luckily I intended it as a wall hanging so it wasn't an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful rendition of this traditional design. Your chosen quilting designs really compliment the quilt! Congratulations on another UFO in the finished pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing quilting. Wow! I could look at it all day. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dresden Plates quilts. Yours reminds me of a field of sunflowers. I'm Velda and you can find me at the FreckledFoxQuiltery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beauty! Love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J'adore le quilting, magnifique remplissage du fond. Et le coeur des fleurs ! Hummmmm, superbe !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt! the colors are perfect for fall and the quilting motifs are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. the quilting is beautiful! Lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. well done! A great finish. Really like the way you quilted the sunflowers.xx


    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the modern touch to old traditional. Love the way the double batting enhances the quilting. Beautiful finish to UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt has such a rich texture and gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First pictures I thought - pretty quilt, nice colors. But then all that quilting! Wow! That's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to know what you think, and if you have any questions please ask!