Wednesday 30 July 2014

Mini quilt exchange

Earlier this summer I participated in the Schnitzel and Boo mini quilt swap. It was organized by Kristi over at Schnitzel & Boo. I heard about it on Instagram and thought I had to participate in a swap where I could stalk my partner to find out her likes and dislikes. It was also fun to make a quilt and make lots of new friends. 600 people participated in this swap!! It was amazing! I got to see what a lot of people were working on by checking out the hashtags on Instagram and trying to guess which was mine. There were so many beautiful quilts, I wanted them all!

Anyhow, I got a great partner called Debbie. She lives in Oaklahoma but is from Alaska and loves her coffee. She even works in a coffee shop part time. She also loves bright colours.

When I got all the info about my partner, I had just finished this quilt top.

I was looking for inspiration and saw this hanging on my design wall and thought it would be perfect. So I looked through my stash and scraps for some fun bright fabrics and used that same cup pattern from Lori Holt's book Quilty Fun. I also thought it would be fun to add a little embroidery to the quilt so I machine embroidered her initial on one of the cups. Here is the quilt top loaded on the longarm.

I put both quilts on the longarm at the same time. I quilted mine first so as to practice before doing Debbie's. I hadn't used the long arm for months so I was a little rusty! It felt good to get back at it. I quilted some loops in the background and then used 3 different designs in the cups.

Here is mine:

I also made Debbie a mug rug with leftovers from her mini. I included an embroidered zipper pouch and a lanyard in her package too.

Here is a photo of the back and the label I embroidered.
All packed up and ready to go.
I am happy to say that she loved it and found the perfect spot to hang it in her craft room and I now have a new friend!
I will show you the wonderful mini I received in my next post!! I strongly recommend you participate in swaps if you get the chance. They are so much fun and it is a great way to meet some great quilty people from around the world!

 

1 comment:

  1. I love those coffee cups Ginette! The mini you made is simply delicious! Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to know what you think, and if you have any questions please ask!