Friday 21 April 2017

Reece's Quilt

This is the last of four quilts I have been working on for the last few months.  Four quilts for four children who lost their father last year.

Reece is 12 years old and the eldest of the four kids.


She loved the buffalo plaid shirt her dad wore so her mom put that one aside especially for her quilt. We paired it up with the black and grey shirts. 



Reece has always had a fascination for Terry Fox and his battle with cancer. Kevin received this t-shirt for participating in the Terry Fox walk one year and he proudly wore it. Of course we had to include it in her quilt as well!


Ralph Lauren Polo shirts were one of his favourite brands of shirts so I included some embroidery from those shirts as well. 


Nancy and I went to the local quilt shop to purchase the border, binding and backing fabrics. While we there, we saw the maple leaf fabric and thought it would look great in this quilt too! There were a couple of other fabrics that caught our eye so we added those too.

One of  Kevin's favourite t-shirts
I decided to free-motion quilt this quilt with some "organic" wavy lines. I had to be able control the machine myself and go around the embroidery from the Ralph Lauren polo shirts because it was too thick to go under the foot of the machine.  I think the texture of the wavy lines lends itself beautifully to the quilt and adds to the cozy overall feel. It turned out just as I had hoped!

the quilt on the longarm
the back
This is Reece's label with the scriptures her mom picked out just for her.
Her father used to sign every email and letter: "Here, with a purpose."
Everything was very well thought out and has special meaning.


The children received their quilts on the 1 year anniversary of their father's passing, along with a beautiful photo book their mother put together.  Beautiful keepsakes they will cherish forever.

I am a little sad that this project is over but so happy that I got to work on it with Nancy. She is such an amazing lady and had great vision for these quilts. I am so happy I was able to make her vision come to fruition and help her through the grieving process.  It's not over yet though... we have plans to make a special quilt for her now and I can't wait to get started!

If you missed the posts about the other three quilts...


I am linking up to Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts as well as TGIFF over at Charly & Ben's Crafty Corner.


2 comments:

  1. Such a very thoughtful quilt - I'm sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wavy line quilting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to know what you think, and if you have any questions please ask!